Thursday, January 12, 2012

Once In A Lifetime


Ian Ross, Pink and Green, 2009-ish?


It's now a new year, 2012, and I've come back to my blog to find I haven't written a damn thing in over 3 months. *I'm letting out a disappointed sigh* To be honest, it's not surprising to me, but it is sort of a personal let down to know I haven't written or done anything creative, really, in that long. I think about how uninspired I've been, and how consumed I can be with the limitless bullshit that life throws at me, and I think to myself, "How did I get here?" <--- Yes, that was a Talking Heads reference, in case you didn't catch it. And, unlike previous posts where I've set goals for myself to write here more often, and usually to no avail, I will spare myself the planning and just take this one in particular for what it is, and hope that this year I become more and more inspired even living in a place I've already deemed tragically uninspiring. Yes, San Diego, I'm talking to you. However, I believe I need to remember two things: 1. Remember one of my favorite quotes, "Life has taught me not to make too many plans, and even if I do, not to say them out loud." and 2. I've grown up/live in a place many people dream to live, and if I continue to take it for granted, I will continue to be discontent. Simple as that.

With that being said, and since this is a goddamn art blog, I want to share with you something that has been particularly inspiring to me this week. It's an old friend actually who I should have written about years ago (and I think I'd meant to, but you notice my track record), Ian Ross. I met Ian doing art shows in a variety of venues when I lived in San Francisco. He's a live artist, living in Mill Valley, and kicking ass currently in the art world. It's been pretty amazing seeing him grow as an artist, and I feel proud to know him as a friend. This week he was in sunny, SD for a new event called "Artists at Work" that's started this month at OMA. Turns out my friend Tara Smith organized this event and kismet have it, Ian was the first artist to be featured. Small fuckin' world, eh? It's been a great week catching up with Ian, meeting his new fiance, seeing his work again in person, and greatest of all--feeling reminded of a life I used to live that was inspired by and truly revolved around a passion for art and its artists. If you have a chance to be influenced in a major way by a very hard working individual, check out Ian's artwork and follow him as he continues to make huge moves and create even more amazing projects. As always, his art is for sale, and I'm sure he'd appreciate you buying it! ;-)

All that said, it's been an awakening I hadn't expected, but is coming at an opportune time as I try and start 2012 with personal progress, passions, and change. <---- Not an Obama reference, but similar idea. . .I guess. . .hopefully more successful. . .
Anyway, laaaaterrr!

Kiss.

No comments: